Community Development


    Will your property require a demolition or land disturbance permit? Don't get forced back to the drawing board. Save time and money by making an appointment to meet with a City Arborist before you begin the design process. Call 770-730-5600 and ask to speak with a City Arborist or email


    A well planned city promotes economic growth and a sense of community. Zoning ensures that growth and development in Sandy Springs is both high quality and sustainable. This Zoning Process guide will help you understand the zoning process and at what stages members of the community can voice their thoughts.


    The Sandy Springs Community Development Department is determined to offer our customers the highest possible level of service. Please take our online survey and tell us your opinion. Your feedback will help us to develop our partnership with you as we build a better city together.


    If you have questions about your project, or just want to meet our community development staff, please take advantage of our meetings held every Thursday morning. Email Chris McCrary or call 770-687-5034 to by close of business on Tuesdays to register for that week’s meeting.

The Department of Community Development is responsible for working with the citizens of Sandy Springs and its development community, the Planning Commission, boards and the elected officials while managing current and long-range planning, permitting, inspections, code enforcement and other activities in support of the City's vision, mission and goals.

The department is responsible for providing comprehensive land-use and environmental planning, zoning and permitting services, development review, and enforcement of building, zoning, development and environmental codes. The department accomplishes these tasks through its three divisions:

The Department of Community Development also is responsible for the administration of the City’s Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG). Through a partnership with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the department will use its annual allocation of federal funds to support initiatives that are eligible for CDBG assistance.

Information on the New Apartment Inspection Ordinance

Water Conservation Survey for Builders

Opportunity Zone Application/South Roswell Road/I-285 Corridor Redevelopment Plan

The Mayor and City Council adopted a revised redevelopment area and Opportunity Zone map at the April 20, 2010, regular meeting. The revised map deletes all properties below Glenridge Drive and also excludes all owner-occupied and condominium properties in the redevelopment area. The revised map and list of Opportunity Zone addresses is available for review below. The Opportunity Zone application to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) is currently being updated to reflect the changes adopted by the Mayor and City Council on April 20. This revised application will be submitted to DCA before May 5, 2010.

Continue Reading >>>

Homeowners and Condominium Association Representatives

The staff of the City of Sandy Springs wants to ensure that they are able to provide accurate and timely information to the representatives and residents of the City’s neighborhoods and communities. Please send the names and contact information of your community’s representatives to

Note: All information sent to the staff will be verified prior to use by City. Please note if you would like your contact information to be confidential.

Share Story >>>

Note on Fence/Wall Permits

Effective January 2008, single-family homes in Sandy Springs will be required to fill out out a special form before the Department of Community Development will approve a permit. For more information, call Community Development at 770-730-5600.

Share Story >>>

Contractors License Required

Pursuant to Georgia Law (OCGA Chapter 41, Title 43) building permits shall only be issued to licensed residential-basic, residential-light commercial or general contractors. An affidavit will be provided at the permit counter and on-line.

Continue Reading >>>

Important Notice About Certificate of Occupancy

All occupancies of both residential and commercial structures require a valid Certificate of Occupancy (CO). A final inspection memo or sign off from the Fire Marshall’s office is NOT sufficient to occupy a commercial building or space, including tenant finishes. Please be advised that requests for COs must be made at the offices of the Community Development department and may require up to one week to complete.

Sandy Springs Noise Ordinance: Hours of Construction Activity Generating Noise

Changes to Apartment Fire Hydrant Inspection

Share Story >>>