Lane and Road Closures and Special Alerts Impacting Your Drive around Sandy Springs
- Work is underway at the intersection of Mt Vernon and Sandy Springs Circle to install traffic signalization poles. We have one lane of traffic blocked, but vehicles are moving through the intersection. Work should be completed by end of day (Oct 24). Install is one of the milestones in completing the work on Mt Vernon, moving closer to its reopening.
- Scheduled lane closure to remove hazardous tree branches on Carpenter Drive, in front of Park Terrace Apartments - Thursday, Oct 27 from 9 a - 11 a
- An Oct 31 lane closure is planned in front of 4745 Lafayette Avenue near the intersection of Powers Ferry Rd.
- Powers Ferry at Heards Road – As part of the reconstruction of the Powers Ferry Road at Heards Road intersection, all traffic (both directions) on Powers Ferry Road will be relocated onto the new roadway. The change will take place on Friday, Oct 21. Demolition of the old roadway begins the week of Oct. 24. Motorists are urged to use caution when traveling through the intersection and pay particular attention to the temporary traffic markings and signage implementing this temporary intersection configuration.
- I-285/Riverside Drive Roundabouts - are now open. Please be courteous as motorists learn the new configuration. Motorists are also cautioned to reduce their speed while traveling through the area as it remains a work zone while the Ga Dept of Transportation completes its work. Click here to view a video from GDOT on how the Riverside Drive Roundabouts will work.
ONGOING ROAD / LANE CLOSURES:
- Intermittent lane closures are planned at the intersection of Greenland Rd and Glenridge Drive related to city construction. The work will occur between 9 a - 4 p, Mon-Fri. through December.
- The northern-most lane of Meridian Mark, next to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is closed for construction related to the expansion of the hospital. The lane closure involves the section of Meridian Mark between Johnson Ferry Road and the Glenridge Connector.
- Utility work and construction activities continue on Sandy Springs Circle between Mt Vernon and Johnson Ferry Road. Please be watchful of crews working in the area, following directional signage and following construction speed limits - 25mph.
- Mt Vernon, between Sandy Springs Circle and Roswell Road, is closed as the road is widened and utility work takes place.
- Roswell Road from Cliftwood to Hammond Dr – Construction as part of the Streetscape project is underway, with activity on both sides of Roswell Road. Construction work will take place primarily at night (9:30 p – 6:30a) with lane closures also in place during construction hours.
Lane and road closures will be needed as the following road segments are milled and paved:
Road Segment Projected Start Date (Milling, followed by paving approx. two days later)
Dalmer Rd Oct. 25
Northside Dr Oct. 24
Edgewater Dr Oct. 26
Hammond Rd Oct. 27
Work in the Perimeter Area and interested in commuting options? Check the Perimeter Connects program for details.
Weekend Road Work Planned by GDOT (posted each Friday)
Click here for a list of this weekend's local state roadway closures.
Safety is always a primary concern. The Department reminds motorists that crews may still work in proximity to highways; and safety concerns may require some long-term lane closures to remain in place. Also, incident management or emergency maintenance-related lane closures could become necessary at any time on any route. Whenever you approach a work zone: slow down; allow extra distance between vehicles; read signs; obey road crew flaggers; and expect the unexpected. For updated information about travel conditions on Georgia’s interstates and state routes, GDOT advises travelers to call 511 or consult www.511ga.org before heading out. Georgia 511 is a free service that provides real-time traffic and travel information statewide. Callers also can transfer to operators to request assistance or report incidents 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
North Fulton Comprehensive Transportation Plan
The Atlanta Regional Commission and the six North Fulton cities are working to update the 2010 NFCTP. The plan will ultimately establish a vision that documents transportation priorities for North Fulton County. Learn more about the process and how you can provide input. website: http://www.northfultonctp.com/